Recognize and secure a hacked Yahoo Mail account
There are some warning signs that indicate when an account has been compromised. If you see anything that suggests you’ve been hacked, there are some important steps you can take to secure your account.
Signs your account has been hacked
- You’re not receiving any emails.
- Your Yahoo Mail is sending spam to your contacts.
- Your account info or settings were changed without your knowledge.
- You see logins from unexpected locations on your recent activity page.
When in doubt, secure your account
- Use Yahoo Account Key or two-step verification
- Change your password; make sure it’s strong enough
- Check and update your account recovery email information
- If you get locked out of your account, use the Sign-in Helper
Review your Yahoo Mail settings
Check your account settings for any changes you didn’t make. Hackers could edit some of these to get copies of emails you send or receive. Restore any settings if needed.
Access all your settings using your desktop web browser from the Settings icon or in the top right corner of the Yahoo Mail page.
- Sending name
- Reply-to address
- Vacation response
- Blocked addresses